I took a new role which is out of my comfort zone. And I have also read 5 really good books in the past 5 months that helped me get a very good perspective on life in general. I also gained insights into my personality, individuality and work styles. Here are some of the things I realized about myself in the past 2 months.
- I don’t work! I solve problems, come up with brilliant ideas and ask the right questions. I dealt with myself wrong all these years. When ever I pushed myself to ‘work’, it doesn’t work! I cannot just force myself to work. If I spend time defining a problem in my mind, I automatically spend enough time in solving it.
- Thinking drives my action. I need to first think clearly about something. Only after I have given something enough thought can I act on it. My best does not come when I have not spent enough time thinking.
- Patience is my strength and I can beat most people in it.
- I am more creative when I work by myself. I suck at collaboration. When collaborating, I just let other people do the talking.
- Meetings suck the life out of me(and most other people). Preparation is the key to having productive meetings at work. I suck at meetings if I am unprepared.
- I don’t enjoy big groups (unless there is good humor flowing around). I am more comfortable in small groups. I like to connect with people one-on-one and have meaningful conversations
- I can concentrate really well when the problem or task is clearly defined. Ill-defined phrases like ‘hard work’ do not make sense to me.
- I am not a detail oriented person. But can spend hours discussing ideas.
- Humor is one of the things that keeps me going. It is indispensable for living a sane life!
- I don’t like to control people. And I don’t like it when people try to control me. This is not a new realization. But I understood it more clearly.
- I am an introvert. I realized it a few years ago, but over the past few weeks realized the significance and the impact on my work style more and more.
There is a part of you
that never felt low
a part of you that
never gave up
that always reassured you
stronger than anything you know,
It will give you the strength
to do what it takes to be who you are,
to find your peace,
manifest your greatness,
and will guide you along –
to where you belong!
I should try to be an extrovert! I should talk less. Work out more. Less movies. Relax!
We tell ourselves so many things. Nothing wrong. But the danger is in over-monitoring yourself, says an article I read the other day.
I don’t want to tell you whether to monitor yourselves or not. No preaching. Just want to list few things I want to cut out in my life.
I don’t want to cut out things I enjoy doing. Absolutely not. I don’t want to cut out things that are good for me, make me healthy, smart or a better person. What I want to cut out is the crap!
- No boring meetings. If it is boring then mostly you don’t care about it.
- Do not go on a trip to a place you have already been to and not particularly keen on seeing again. Sometimes we do that to please others. The time I get to travel is precious. Cannot waste it.
- Do not go to a party that you probably will probably not enjoy. If drinking until you puke is not your idea of partying, then don’t go to a party where that is the theme!
- Do not switch on TV to check whats on. Switch it on when you know what you want to watch.
- Not a big fan of fries, but ate it yesterday because it came with the entree! If you love the taste but its not healthy, I can still see value in it. If it is healthy but not tasty, I can understand why you are eating it. But if you are not particularly fond of it and it is not healthy – then run away from it! Sounds obvious, but think of what all you ate in the past week.
- Do not check Facebook impulsively. or Whatsap!
- No time for regret. This is the worst way to spend time!
O God, give me the strength to switch off my mobile phone,
not check facebook every hour and ignore the stream of whatsap messages,
be able to stop after one potato chips packet and one episode on netflix,
not get drawn into over dramatized news items and fake reality shows …. 🙂