“If you want to get over your weaknesses then focus on your strengths” – A great Indian monk
Getting over a weakness is a great feeling. But it takes time. And we need a lot of strength during that time. Let’s say you want to beat alcohol addition. How would you get through the withdrawal phase? How would you bring yourself to say no when a friend offers you that brand of scotch you like? How to cope with not being invited to parties because you don’t drink anymore?
May be you love Tennis. You revived that old passion and it helped you take your mind off alcohol. You started hanging out with your old Tennis buddies again. And as a side effect it helped you loose that belly fat!
May be you are a smooth talker. You used that skill it to politely say no to your friend who offered the scotch. And you made him understand that you are trying to kick an addiction. As a side effect it may encourage that friend to kick his addiction as well.
Focus on your strengths. It gives you the energy to move forward. Strength is life 🙂
Lets say you want to become an expert in a programming language but starting from the scratch. Ask yourself what are my strengths? List them down and remind yourself everyday.
- I am good at solving problems in general. It makes me happy
- I can think out of the box for solutions
- I like learn just for the sake of learning. My curiosity often helps me be a good learner
- I am very good at math. It can help with certain aspects of being a programmer
- I have my own ways for effective learning
- I am full of ideas and creativity
- I can make any activity fun 🙂
- I get better everyday
- I can look at the big picture as well as the details
- I am full of insights
We can go on. You get the idea….