- Plan your food. We know our calendars atleast a week in advance, right? Planning ahead gives better outcomes in almost everything in life.
- Design your meals based on the upcoming activities. If its a sedentary week, then less carbs and more good fat. If its going to be a lot of running then some healthy carbs from whole grains. You get the idea!
- Food journal! Does not have to be a diary or a spreadsheet. There are a lot of user friendly apps out there. If you don’t have a record of what you have eaten, there is no way we can improve our diet or diagnose the root cause if something goes wrong. Observing and tracking what you eat and how you reacted to it adds to your food wisdom. No one can tell you what suits your body. Only you can! And observing yourself is the best route.
- What are your native food choices? How did your ancestors used to eat? How did you used to eat before you started living on your own? List them and eliminate the ones you don’t take very well. Highlight the ones your body loves. Tilt the balance in the favor of the ones that suit your body. Have this list handy on your phone for when you go food shopping.
- A personal hack for me is to not go shopping when I am hungry. Only shop in a satiated state. This way I buy deliberately and not desperately!
- Read more. Keep picking up ideas for better living. And test them out if possible. We never know what works and what does not. Knowledge of the right options and strategies is a very critical first step. And for me, reading about health regularly is a way of keeping myself motivated and engaged on the topic.